Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Measurements/Subjective Reviews

1. Do you read the measurements section?

Hell yeah. It is the most important part of the review. That's because i can interpret the results for myself and don't have to rely on someone else's "subjective" or "biased" interpretation of what's going on.

2. If the measurements section is critical, and the subjective review is highly complementary, how do you respond? Do you dismiss the measurements? Dismiss the subjective review? Weigh them both? Dismiss them both?

If it came down to it, i would dismiss the subjective reviewer and trust the specs. That is, so long as the specs were derived using both consistent and repeatable procedures consistent with industry standards. As it is, some of the reviewers provide enough "between the lines" info to figure out / confirm my thoughts about how the units perform in comparison to my deciphering of said test results.

3. Disclaimer: Though I occassionally write for Stereophile on a freelance basis, I ask these questions merely to satisfy my own curiosity. I don't, in this, represent the magazine.

Why aren't you listed as a "R" ( Reviewer ) or a "I" ( Industry Pro )? If you write about audio related subjects, but don't review gear, that would make you an Industry Professional as you comment on the industry as part of your profession. Sean
>

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.