Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Just a couple of comments.....

I can't wait to get my copy of TAS because now I really want to read this article. I'll reserve judgement until then, but I have to say that in the past I have found RH's writings to be interesting and maybe even thought provoking. I suspect the latter is what riles some of the old guard. Hopefully, I am an open-minded and unbiased reviewer of reviewers. ;~)

Some mags, like Home Theater, have invested a fair amount of money buying different types of gear to create a pretty good listening room "lab" for comparisons and testing under varying conditions. I don't think most do this. You might want to find a way to develop a dialogue with some reviewers to discuss this further, but I think there is an inherent requirement that to be a reviewer you must be serious about the hobby, which means you have to have some good equipment to begin with. Your opportunities to make comparisons exist when you have a couple of different speakers and other components on-hand for review. Otherwise, you have to use your own stuff for comparison (I would like to go through the homes of some reviewers, like RR who usually writes for Stereophile, because he must have a lot of stuff........I'm not a reviewer, and even I have a room that is full of idle equipment).

Before I close, I'll describe something from past experience. In the 80's and 90's I worked for a large PC manufacturer. We used to send computers out for review. Generally, they were alpha or beta units, but they were never the same thing as would be sold off the shelf. The reviewers would want the stuff picked up as soon as the review process was done, because they didn't have the real estate to accomodate and keep all of the stuff they received for review. We loved it when someone wanted to actually buy and keep a "evaluation" unit, because we couldn't sell that unit as new anyway. Otherwise, the computer submitted for review would go on someone's desk, or be torn apart and used to maintain other PC's, or maybe even sold at one of our annual "manufacturer's parking lot sale" where great stuff was sold at a fraction of MSLP only because we could not sell it as new.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just a couple of comments..... - bwkendall 14:48:59 05/23/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.