Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Something I would like to see. . .

unruljulie wrote:
"I would like to see a list of all the items submitted for review in each issue. My guess is that many pieces are submitted, but few are chosen for a written review (for whatever reason). If the reviewer has a sub-optimal piece of gear to review, it's much easier (and less likely for lawsuits) to decline to review it rather than write a bad review."

Unfortunately, it doesn't work quite that way. Products are offered or requested, then a reviewer is usually assigned, and the component is sent to him. He takes a couple of months working with it, is either given a deadline for the review or just submits it - it may or may not be included in a particular issue.

"I would also like to see a "second opinion" on each piece of gear. I find it hard to believe that these magazines don't have the resources to let someone else listen to something for a week or two."

TAS used to do this and it was an important part of the magazine until it changed ownership and was discontinued, most likely for logistical and time reasons.

"And no, I really don't buy that it takes months to review a piece, unless the reviewer has another full-time job/family/etc. I don't know how many review for a 'living.' or as a primary pasttime"

Very few reviewers do this as a full-time job. My guess would be two or three people at TAS and Stereophile are full-time (including the editors who read and edit all the copy) and the rest have other full-time jobs, families, friends and lives.

Here's an exercise - try taking your newest audio component and write a review of it. Be sure to use it with numerous other components and cables to insure you're getting the most performance out of it. Be sure to use musical examples anytime you describe a positive or negative aspect of it's musical reproduction. Write, say, 1500 words and let me know how long it takes.
Regards,
Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Something I would like to see. . . - mkuller 12:14:15 05/23/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.