Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I don't get your rant.

For whatever reason, I don't have my issue of TAS yet so I am using your post as my point of reference. I don't know how closely you read reviews, but I have seen more than a few that pointed out components with questionable performance. From what I understand, if a reviewer feels that he or she may not be able to write a reasonably objective appraisal of a given component, they will pass the review off to someone else.

What is the big deal about manufacturers and long-term loans? Do you think reviewers have nothing but time, and are able to immediately focus on a component as soon as it arrives? I suspect there are times when there two or three sets of speakers a couple of amps and maybe a turntable all competing for review time. If the review is going to be thorough, it must be done of time and through extended listening sessions. First impressions are not always accurate. BTW, most reviewers also have day jobs and families that consume most of their time.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I know I have access to financial and legal services at pricing most people would love to get because of my profession. If a reviewer or employee of an audio magazine gets a slightly discounted rate on some demo speakers or CDP, who cares?

I think most people who are critical of the review process are actually just jealous because they don't get a stream of top-notch components delivered to their door to listen to for awhile. Personally, I think it would be a pain in the ass to have to tear my system apart, put it back together again with the review component and then devote the time necessary to get the best performance out of the item being reviewed. Maybe I only know how to do these things in slow motion, but it would take me more time than I would be willing to give up.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.