Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Well then, how about this arguement. for favorable reviews...

Mike:

A couple of observations:

First: audio products--including many loudspeakers--are not, to my ears, necessarily better than the very good, and fairly priced, high end audio products of twenty years ago. I've needed to augment some Linn LK-280/Sparks Power Supply amps for the last few years. Only one amplifier I've had in my home (a previous generation Chord)--among a group of expensive high end players (Rowland, BAT, Audio Research, YBA, ATC, etc)was I thought even marginally better into some four or so different pairs of loudpseakers.

Second: perhaps a few honestly critical reviews might have dampened the reckless price inflation that has contributed to the demise of the high end. I remember some years ago a series of articles in, I believe, Positive Feedback that compared--to the point of preferring--the sanely priced Von Schweikert to what was then the current generation of the WATT/Puppies. Even then, the point taken was, I believe, that the VS's were a steal. The point should have been that the Wilson's were embarrassingly overpriced--as have been, I suspect, the vast majority of high ticket items that have dragged the cost of high end audio into its death spiral with dwindling demand. Pearson started it with what I think was his basic lack of common sense, but reviewers have followed him like lemmings.

If you tiptoe through the posts here, you'll repeatedly find folks questioning the worth of, after listening, critic's darlings. I don't think they are all simply cheap or all wrong. Critics should have a determined interest in sifting the junk from the good stuff, not telling their readers that it is all good. It isn't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.