Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: SP6e

HI O,Shag,
Thanks for the post,Much apreshiated.

The Croft components are built not to far from where i live in the Uk.
They have no pcb and are all hard wired.
For the price they are extrordinary value and sound very "fast" for an all valve desighn.

Croft made many pre amp desighns and also power amplifiers.
The pre that i have is the Mega micro which is a 2 box desighn with completely seperate channels, A 6 valve regualted power supply, Plus dual volume pots for each channel.
The drive capability of this unit is amazing.
Most of Croft pre amps have dual volume controls O,Shag which have amazing seperation and tracking.

The use of hard wiring has a major leg up over pcb based desighns.
Croft desighns have true valve vurtues and a midband that is "ultra realistic".
Croft and Audio research are the companys which i have always admired.
I think that for the outley they offer extremely good value and to get better would require really large funds.

ARC use double thickness pcbs which also helps.
I hope you go for the Magnepans O.Shag.
They are a lifetimes investment and even people who are not into hi end audio stand amazed at them.
Plus they are usually the talking point when people call round to the house.
I had some female freinds call and they were very impressed "hhhhhhmmmmmmm nuff said"....

The Dac -1 ,Wow'Thats greta O,Shag.
Thinking about it you may end up with exatly the same system as me.
The dac-1
ARC sp6
Magneplanner?

The build quality of the components and the way they sounds extrudes exoticness and i am still getting amazing sonics every night.

I once spent £1700 on Audiolab gear before the ARC units,It amazes me what i could have had if i had known.
The Audiolab gear was the favourite choice in a certain british hi fi magazine.
I got them home and after reading the reviews i was confused at the complete lack of emotion or enjoyment to the music.The "steely edge" of the midband was enough to make you run for the hills,they were dreadfull.
The first time i saw an ARC pre amp i was hooked,Like you say the build quality,Rock solid feel,Silver nobs,Rack handles and those six valves glowing in a chassie that could have been built for Lamborghini.

The new items on the marketplace here in the Uk just dont have the "zest" that the earlier units have.Everybody is dvd audio or sacd hooked,Which to us audiophiles is great as we get some awsome components and meet like minded people worldwide.

Great to hear from you,Shag and Fran.
The SP6 is currently looking at me as if to say "hey switch me on"And i cant resist.
Although those fish and chips are calling me back again,Its a tough one.

Take care,
Ian.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: SP6e - croft 19:45:37 09/02/04 (2)
    • Re: SP6e - O'Shag 02:10:10 09/03/04 (1)
      • Re: SP6e - croft 21:51:16 09/04/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.