Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Why do audiophiles....

I'll share my experience on the topic. I started with affordable solid state gear and moved up the line to higher (better, whatever that means) powered solid state. Then I jumped to tube gear and did the same. Then up next was to try SET (45s,El84s,2a3). In all cases, they each had good and bad qualities. In my main system now, while I prefer tube amplifiers, I ended up with a solid state as that seemed to be the right tool for the job. My 2a3 is being used in my office setup. Long story short, at some point, I've found that all of the gear has a flavor and choosing the one that is interesting to use, whether it be short or long term interests. And as for my SET, I've got it hooked up to the SF Venere 1.5s and have easily used other speakers that "shouldn't work", so I don't feel severely constrained. Of course, this system doesn't have the deepest bass, the highest highs, doesn't go extremely loud although more than loud enough for my listening, but the midrange is why I've kept the SET around. Sometimes you'll have to try and see if you like it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why do audiophiles.... - tye2277 18:51:42 11/30/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.