Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: SETs

"Just to add one more thing, SETs especially (but tubes in general) seem to be able to generate far higher dynamic power without audibly distorting"

It was tubes in general that impelled me to design my amp, which may or may not ever fly. The economy is probably going to shit so I don't want to dump a ton of money into this and sell zero units and I don't want my mail market to be overseas.

I had to make a major change in the design and have a few things to deal with, so it is not dead, it is just that I might not do it at all.

I will reveal what I figured out though about tubes.

Tubes are al diodes. Sure they can have grids, but they are still a diode. That means they do not conduct in reverse.

I push pull, when one output clips, the transformer and speaker cone are free wheeling and can move more. This will round up some of the clipping and that is why it is not harsh like a solid state amp.

No solid state device has that characteristic, bipolar, ant MOSFET, even JFETs, VFETs, LFETs, you name it and it is not open during reverse voltage.

In a way it is soft clipping, but if a solid state amp has it it subtracts, in a tube amp it adds.

This characteristic is what gave old tube guitar amps their sound. Not that often but sometimes on stage they would have a little amp in a box with a mic. Someone like BB King would do shit like that with Lucille.

So absolutely, what the human voice puts out probably should not be considered distortion. In a way yess, but those harmonics are what makes us able to form words.

In most cases the vocal chords are full of harmonics, the mouth modulates the harmonics. However there are people I do not understand well and I know now why - their voice lacks enough harmonics for me to discern correctly. One is a pretty good friend so I have to deal with it. And he likes to debate, land sometimes it gets heated but after we crack open a brew, maybe light a hog leg. And we are not worried about any pipsqueak virus either so no masks unless we got out to a pubic place.

Actually two other friends have lower voices but they got the harmonics. Easy for me to understand. And that is in person or on the phone, doesn't seem to matter.

So it can be said that SETs have a "vocal" quality. Many people like voice, like singers, certain announcers etc.

The guy with the FM voice, deep and EQed to make sure it is deep. And close to the mic. The thing is their voice had enough harmonics.

Actually we had one guy, Bill Friedman with his overnight BLF Bash and he stayed back from the mic. He sounded like he maintained about a six pack in him, and played some of the best music, not the top forty at all. He was the exception, and was on the air for decades. And ours, I don't believe he was ever syndicated.

Anyway, another friend, now deceased, had about the deepest voice around, deeper than mine on a good day. No problem understanding him. he could sing some, and he actually took voice training. Not for singing but for announcing. He ws telling me that like the guy who on AOL said "Welcome" and "You got mail" made a fraction of cent very time that was used, or just installed on a computer. Got rich.

So, that "vocal" quality can mean something a bit different than many think.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: SETs - JURB 21:44:24 11/23/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.