Amp/Preamp Asylum

Costly power cords are never an issue with me...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Amp/Preamp Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

They don't make a difference if you believe they don't make a difference AND you have confidence in the reproductive capabilities of your system.

Throw out the confidence and disbelief creeps in.

Remember stereo reproduction is ALL an illusion... A wonderful illusion that allows us to experience the artistry of the finest, greatest... or no so renown musicians and allow us to be moved. The Artist and producers create a product from real and imagined performances created live or over various time and or geographic venues that somewhere along the line manifests itself in two somewhat correlated voltage signals. Those signals are convolved with the impulse responses of the remaining analog electronics, loudspeaker crossover and drivers which all exhibit noise, linear and non-linear behavior. The acoustic output is further convolved (in a rather nasty fashion) by the cabinet and baffle (apologies to planar owners) and the rooms acoustic impulse responses, also in a non-linear fashion.

The pressure signals that reach our ears would not be recognized if compared to the sound of a live performer, but still that signal is pushed through God's wonderfully created bizarre middle ear and after some modulation and digitization there, electrical and chemical processes trigger several parts of our brain, which goes about trying to classify the sound, analytically and emotionally. On the best of days we believe in the illusion, and Natalie and her Dad, are (impossibly) singing "Unforgettable" in harmony for me in my basement.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

Follow Ups: