Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I like to contemplate the theory vs doing aspect of 60 miles vs 6 ft

"I find it funny, as the theorists seem unwilling to accept the practical fact that plenty of folks DO find changing the six feet at the equipment can change the sound."

That's because after the wires come to your house off of the transformers on the poles, it is all heavy gauge wire. More than likely at least 12 gauge all the way to the outlet.

The matter of shielding is local. It is your plasma TV or the SMPS in a piece of your equipment polluting the power. There is too much inductance for something your neighbor might be running to make much of a difference.

You have seen posts right here about "If I turn on my TV I can't get some FM stations" and shit like that. Well that is pretty local.

That is not to say there is no hash on the line as it comes in. I got threatened with banishment over the DC issue on isolation transformers, and I was right. But when that waveform is not sinusodial it can make for problems.

Newer equipment with SMPS doesn't really care, but when you got real iron in there it does make a difference. Devices with SMPS make more noise than they take in anyway. It simply is not an issue.

Enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I like to contemplate the theory vs doing aspect of 60 miles vs 6 ft - JURB 20:02:02 08/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.