Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Multimeter with max voltage hold

I don't think a multimeter will do the job. It takes time to sample the signal so you may never get a good reading of transient peaks. You will probably need an oscilloscope or maybe a storage oscilloscope.

Another approach would be to use a CD with tone-bursts. These are sinusoidal signals that produce a short burst and then turn off for 19-times the length of the tone-burst. You can feed the speaker a large voltage without damage because the average power would be only 1/20th the power of the tone-burst. I fed my Thiel CS3.7 speakers a 50-volt tone-burst at 1000-Hz to check the amplifier for clipping and also check the speaker for distorting. The amplifier just began to clip at 50-volts but the speaker had no audible distortion. This wasn't the case with a 400-Hz tone-burst. The speaker began audibly distorting above 36-volts although the amplifier exhibited no distortion at all.

Be sure to wear ear plugs for tone-burst testing.

Good luck,
John Elison

400-Hz Tone-Burst ................................................... 1000-Hz Tone-Burst

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.