Amp/Preamp Asylum

RE: How does the Rogue RP-5 compare to the CJ 17LS you once owned?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Amp/Preamp Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

It's quite similar, but a bit sweeter and not quite as neutral, and yet more dynamic.

If I were to label the CJ PV14L as a 1, meaning the bottom of neutral, and the 17LS as a 10, meaning the top of neutral, I'd give the Rogue about a 7.5.

But it's much more dynamic than the PV14L and somewhat more so than the 17LS. It has very good boogey factor! One an open one to 10 scale, I'd say PV14 would be a 5, 17LS a 7.5, and then Rogue a 9.

Also, the Rogue is dead silent like the 17LS (the PV14L was hissy). And, unlike any CJ I've tried, it is also consistently dead silent on turn on, turn off and switching source input. (Knock on wood.)

It's less expensive than the 17LS even without adjusting for inflation and has an excellent phono stage and headphone amp, which were absent from the 17LS.

It's plastic remote reminds me of the entry level CJ remotes, rather than the pretty metal CJ Premier remotes, but that's OK with me.

If I buy it and put in the recommended NOS tubes, I'll report back as I've been told they are "night and day" better from the JJs in it now.

___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

Follow Ups: