Amp/Preamp Asylum

Rogue Audio RP-1 vs. RP-5

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Amp/Preamp Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I'm considering getting one of these preamps to insert in my two-in-one (home theater and 2 channel) system. My system profiles are woefully out of date, but I currently use a Krell Foundation as both my TV/HT processor and my 2 channel preamp, with a CJ MF2250 for the front R & L speakers, which are Dynaudio Focus 160s. The Foundation is actually quite a nice preamp, but has a somewhat limited soundstage and I miss the days when I had an excellent tube preamp.

So far, I have auditioned both the RP-1 and RP-5 briefly at Goodwin's High End in Waltham, MA. In their listening room, I must say that the RP-5 is noticeably better to my ears. The RP-1 is quite lovely, but a bit to lush and rolled off. It reminds me somewhat of the old CJ PV14L. The RP-5 is more incisive and detailed while retaining some warmth. It reminds me somewhat of the old CJ Premier 17LS.

BUT . . . I've been tricked by that particular listening room before. It always seems to render equipment I've auditioned more warm and rounded than what I hear at home, so I will likely home audition both preamps in my home system in a week or two. Might as well give the PR-1 another chance at home.

I'm wondering if anyone here has heard both in either the same system or a system they're familiar with. I love the price of the RP-1, and while I gather it's headphone amp and phono stage are inferior to the RP-5s, I don't listen much to headphones and I already have a phono preamp (the PS Audio GCPH) that I really like. So, I don't feel the need to pay for those features (or other things like the processor loop). But if the RP-5 sounds as much better than the RP-1 in my home system, I'll spring for it and will dig deeper in my pockets.
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

Follow Ups: