Amp/Preamp Asylum

RE: Schiit Passive

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Amp/Preamp Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Passives are always something you have to try out. The vintage Kenwood power amps were a real under the radar amp and great sounding.

However! most vintage amps don't seem to like running a passive. They do need the buffering of a preamp.

I WOULD TRY it and see how it sounds before investing in a passive. Go to Radioshack, if possible?? and buy a simple 100k volume pot and a few cheap interconnects (cut off the RCA connector and wire it directly to the volume pot) and build a cheap test passive to try it out.

If it works I would buy a Goldpoint attenuator and get a simple black box from Radioshack (or Mouser if no Radioshacks).

If you need a preamp the NAD does have a very nice preamp section. I believe the tone controls can be switched out if needed. I've used my NAD C326BEE preamp for many projects with great success.

PS post a picture of the Kenwood or at least the model. Also the Kenwood may be in need of a recap. But it IS WORTH IT.

Edits: 04/19/17

Follow Ups: