Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: How long is too long in a repair shop?

Thanks for all the responses to this thread. As it turns out 24 hours after I posted the thread, I called the shop and they said it was ready. The unit being looked over was a McIntosh 7270 power amplifier. I've owned it for 8 years, bought it used and felt that it may need looked at. Funny noise at turn on, one switch (meter control) didn't work correctly, a couple lights out and it was running hotter than I had ever remembered. If I played a couple of cd's at moderte listening levels the amp would be hot to the touch. It even shut down on one occasion due to excess heat. It never used to do that.

The outcome of the 5 week visit to the shop was: verified "low ripple voltage" across main power supply caps, intermittant connection to the left amp board causing noise on left output (repaired), adjusted bias and dc offset, replaced muting jfets, replaced all electrolytic signal caps, replaced lights, deoxed, cleaned, set meters, etc., etc.,

On the parts list were the bad switch, optocouplers replaced on both driver channels, 12 lytic caps, bulbs, a jfet tranny, and a whole lot of "diagnosing". Total bill, $531.37 and as far as I could tell 380.00 was in diagnostics.

The results have been impressive however, I am clearly picking up on the improved tightness/cleanness of the bass and subtle details in the music seem to be more noticeable. Air around the music seems more spacious and there is less congestion as higher volumes. Overall there is a "punch" to the music I felt was missing. Plus the amp can run for hours without sweating now. Worth it? A definite yes and I will say when I got the unit back it was spotless, not sure what they did but it almost looked "waxed".

Now the McIntosh MX117 . . . ugh!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.