Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Amplifier Input Topology

I'm designing a vacuum tube preamp with a direct-coupled output circuit. When first powered on, it will output -30V through a 2.3K resistor (approximate). Once the output stage warms up, the DC will go to zero. This won't present a problem driving a tube power amp. Worst case, the temporary negative voltage will cut off conduction of the first tube until the preamp stabilizes. However, I'm concerned about what might happen if this is connected to a solid state amp. Do I need to install a delay circuit to prevent this from happening, or will all solid state amp survive -30V DC on their input? Again, this is through a 2.3k resistor, so current is limited to roughly 13 mA.

FWIW, I've worked on thousands of solid state amps. However, the last one was more than 25 years ago, and I've forgotten all the various iterations of input circuits. Maybe someone who's more current on this can help me think through all the "what-ifs."

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Amplifier Input Topology - Triode_Kingdom 12:27:57 07/07/17 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.