Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Tuner alignment in the MX117 from

Aligning an older AM or FM tuner makes sense and would probably fall under the 'routine maintenance' category. But I think the MX117 is a "preamp / tuner". I wouldn't expect the preamp section to require 'maintenance' in the form of alignment like a tuner. It should either work or not. If it stops working something probably flat-out broke.

There are several alignment adjustments in a tuner that do not exist in a preamp or power amp. The front-end ganged tuning capacitor and it's trimmer caps, local oscillator, and I.F. strip consisting of multiple 455-KHz tuned circuits (10.7-MHz typical in FM sets) will all need alignment over time.

But I have yet to own a premp, power amp, or integrated amp that required 'routine maintenance'. They either break or age to the point of deterioration but this is not the same issue as 'routine maintenance'. Maybe a tube swap, but do we send our gear in for repair or 'routine maintenance' for a simple tube swap? I suppose some folks might.

As an aside, I'm reminded of the days of carrying a bag full of TV tubes to the corner store to use their tube tester when our family TV started acting up. ;-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.