Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I Stand Corrected ... but

I stand corrected ... sometimes I tend to paint the picture with to broad a stroke ... I should have said most premium preamp are class A with no negative feedback

I would not own a active preamp ... I built a very simple volume control based on Slagle Autoformers .. also I wouldn't own a Dac or 1 box Cd player with op amps in the analogue output either ...

My Arye D1ex has a class A no negative feedback Jfet based output

My experience with op amps in the CD/Dac output is under high current demand they can't keep up with the current called for and go into oscillation trying to keep the input and output in balance ... my belief is the brief oscillation creates a temporary distortion that is very short lived and presents itself as a screaming or shout-ness by the performer's at their peaks

Just my subjective observation ... I struggled with this shout-ness and screaming on the peaks with a number of player for a number of year s ... always blamed it on room acoustic issues that I couldn't seem to tame then I bought the Ayre ... problem solved

Maybe it's just me or the way I roll but I wouldn't use an active preamp (to much gain ) or a Player/Dac that employed op amps regardless of how high the quality of the op amps were including discrete type ... this works for me and I'm very happy not chasing all he screaming female performer's

To each his own but I do stand corrected on my "all" preamp rant

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I Stand Corrected ... but - dhrab 05:06:56 07/06/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.