Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Audionervosa: Pass or Latino?

Even though my Tannoy speakers are somewhat efficient and do OK with modest power, they really shine and come to life with more than the manufacturer's suggested minimum.

I've had a few amps in the marginal power range of about 30wpc to 50wpc (for my Tannoys). Yes, they were OK. But depending on the amp, it seemed that ~60wpc or more hit the minimum to make my speakers really sing.

The Cary Rocket 88 (CAD-808) 40wpc EL-34 amp didn't cut it sounding dynamically challenged.

The CJ Premier 11a 70wpc 6550 amp was pretty good.

The AES/Cary SixPac 50wpc monoblocks were much better. Go figure even with their lower power rating they were more dynamic and robust than the CJ.

The Pass Aleph 3 and the very similar Aleph 30 didn't cut it. They were both dynamically polite or soft, sounding nice but constrained.

Even my current Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated with EL34 tubes were not sufficient. The speakers came alive when I swapped in KT90 or KT120 tubes which brought the power up around 100wpc. And other amps in the 100wpc or more range have been fully adequate for my speakers. Anything under about 50wpc was marginal to noticeably insufficient.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Audionervosa: Pass or Latino? - AbeCollins 12:47:39 06/17/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.