Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Sand from White Sands Nat Mon in NM will be a tremendous improvement in isolation.

Of course its a national monument, so smuggling sand will have to be discrete, but I can get it for you if the price is right for the risk.

It isn't quartz, so the vibes won't make the stuff ring or cause any interfering piezoelectric effects.
Its gypsum; much finer grained than quartz sands. Smaller particles pack better; less open space, therefore provide much greater dampening effect. its from a desert, so drying won't be necessary.

For weighting applications, I prefer coastal tabular basalt from the Pacific Northwest instead of granites or diorites from interior regions. Much denser and heavier per given size, which is why the granitic continents float on it. I can also provide this for you at a price, but paying for the heavy airline bag isn't cheap.

Somebody made little neoprene rubber/plastic (Sorbothane, I think) rings to slide down around tubes to damp vibes. Better than chewing gum, but much more expensive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.