Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Unusual design?

I have found that even the jump is not that good. Better dynamics from a good SET with a high sensitivity speaker.

I find it laughable that they dare to claim the tone and timbre of these amps is neutral! Their signature is all over whatever recording you care to play...from dreck to the finest recordings it is there...and objectionable. I had a recent Devialet experience and came away again with the sameness in the end that each recording takes on with these amps. A synthetic sheen if you will.

I refuse to believe that recordings are stripped so bare and that the amp is only reporting the "truth" about those recordings. When I play stuff on my system I get a HUGE variability in the sound between recordings...the poor stuff sounds like that where you can hear the errors clearly. It still sounds like music but limited. The best recordings sound realistic and then there is everything in between. I am by no means an Audio Note fanboy but their philosophy of maximum contrast in recordings has some merit. I don't hear that contrast with either ncore or Devialet (as the two big Class D players right now) and I know that this contrast between recordings exists! That is a fail right there, IMO.

I have heard Ncore 500s...didn't seem fundamentally different to me...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.