Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Harman Kardon Citation II & Mcintosh C47

Well certainly. I've had lots of audiophile stuff over the past 30 years. 3 years or so ago my amplification was a Joule Electra preamp (loved it) and a Modwright KWA150 amp (didn't love it). They sounded "good" but I wasn't thrilled with the Modwright so I decided to simplify my system with the best sounding Integrated I could afford by selling my separates. I spent about 6 months looking for the right one. I was not concerned at all about convenience, I was only looking for the best sound through my new to me Sonus Faber EAII's. My music is Joe Pass, Coltrane, Bill Evans, classical quartets, cello, old rock and roll like CSNY, Jerry Garcia etc.. No metal, headbanger, music.
Acoustic space, midrange vocals and strings, the "you are there" feeling were (and are) my priority. The LFD NCSE had glowing reviews but I couldn't find any to listen to and the new price was too high to consider. So...-.audiogon of course. Found my NCSE on a Sunday afternoon, picked it up in NYC that evening. Put it in my system and other than a new Ayre DAC for TidalHiFi stream and a MC phono stage for my turntable no changes now for about 3 years.
I moved to FL a few months ago and as a move in present to myself (I'm divorced of course) I got a big new OLED TV. And I have more time on my hands. Well, one thing leads to another, and now I want a remote volume control now for when I play the TV through the system. So I visited audioclassics.com site last week, saw the Citation II, read up on the Mcintosh C47 (I'll be selling my outboard DAC and MC phono amp soon) and snatched up the fully restored Citation II (the only way I'd buy a very old tube amp - and the restoration was done by the lead tech at audioclassics - great shop) and the C47 (they are a top tier Mc dealer) and that was that.
I'll probably augment my system by buying a well-used inexpensive solid state amp (like B&K ST140 or and old Adcom) and use the Citation for music sessions.
This is a fun hobby.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Harman Kardon Citation II & Mcintosh C47 - cantfindmymail@gmail.com 12:13:06 06/03/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.