Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

This is patently false for 2 reasons:

First, balanced operation has the advantage of reducing the artifact of the cable, regardless of length. If you've ever had to audition a single-ended cable to find one that sounds right, you might then understand what a blessing this can be.

This means if you do it right, no need for a boutique cable. Audio shops don't like that, so there you are.

The second is that all magnetic phono cartridges are balanced sources. Don't believe me? Go ahead and switch the phase on one channel of your setup, and see what happens. If you did this with a true single ended source (like a tuner or single-ended CD player) the result would be a loud buzz. With a cartridge all you did is invert the phase with no other consequence. Balanced sources do not employ a center tap- no need for matched resistors to simulate that as implied elsewhere on this thread. Balanced operation ignores ground, so what you really want is what the cartridge really is- a floating source.

Here's a handy page on balanced operation:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.