Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

My Friends Have Extensive Experience With The 740p

Here are some of their/our notes, in no particular order.

a.) At the very least, stick the OEM powercord on an audiodharma Cable Cooker.

b.) Anyone with a 740p most likely will be experimenting with after-market powercords. As above, ALL cables, including powercords, must be properly treated on a cable burn-in device. That said, on account of the 740p's transparency and accuracy, you will want to avoid the Stereotypical Audiophile powercord, which plays graphic EQ with your equipment and music. If you want to get the most out of the 740p, carefully select a powercord which keeps noise at bay, and does not interfere with the music.

c.) Again, due to the 740p's resolving powers, the internal fuse, plus its direction, plays a vital role in the unit's performance. Getting the wrong fuse will ruin the 740p.

d.) Once you have optimized the 740p, it will become a model of transparency, accuracy, and truth. The 740p becomes sonically invisible. That means it will take what your sources and cables provide, and pass it along to the downstream interconnect and power amp. Be warned that the vast majority of audiophiles does not recognize or have the maturity to appreciate this quality.

e.) Unlike most preamps, the 740p does have (a) a wide volume control range, (b) small steps, and (c) input offset. So, if you are part of the masses, who complain about the sound being too loud, even when the volume control is at or near MIN, you need to pay particular attention to the 740p.

f.) Please go to my homepage, and scroll down for my posts (9 as of this writing) about the Simaudio 820S outboard power supply. I have reviewed it, as it has powered a 750D CD player/DAC. However, my audio friends have also used an 820S on the 610LP phonostage and 740p preamp. Adding an 820S to a 740p lowers the noise floor. This allows for even better reproduction of recorded soundscapes, instrumental textures, image stability and focus, tracking of the notes' movement, and contrast between music and silence. IOW, an 820S allows the 740p to take 2 or 3 important steps closer to having NO sonic fingerprints at all.

g.) I have extensively reviewed Simaudio's I-7, 600i, and P-8. The dead-neutral 600i reveals the I-7's and P-8's colorations and inaccuracies. Versus the 600i, which is already of reference quality, my audio friends tell me that the 740p is even more faithful to the source. That is, a properly setup 740p, once again, comes that much closer to NO sound at all.

And that's the way preamps should be,
-Lummy The Loch Monster

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.