Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Updated a Devialet 200 to a 400 model...Quite a difference

I've been very impressed with the Devialet 200 ever since I picked it up. It was hard to believe a single unit could replace high end separate components (DAC, Preamp, Power Amp) and improve the performance to boot. Yet, that is exactly what occurred. The only issue I noted with the 200 was the fact that the treble wasn't quite as transparent as I would have liked when the volume was turned up on complex music.

Enter the second Devialet 200. The design allows the system to be re-configured to 400 watt mono units (at six ohms).

These specs are absolutely remarkable:

THD+N (Tonal/Harmonic Distortion) at full power: 0,001%
IMD (Inter-modulation Distortion) SMTPE: 0,00025%
SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio): 130dB unweighted
Thermal distortion: not measurable
Output impedance: <0,001Ω
Bandwidth through digital inputs at 2Ω to 8Ω load: DC-87kHz (-3dB),
DC-60kHz (-1dB), DC-30kHz (-0,1dB), same on analog inputs except 0,1Hz instead of DC

The real surprise was just how much better the overall performance was with the reconfiguration to a pair of mono 400 units. The background was the quietest I've ever heard from a audio playback system. The bass had more authority and heft, and it became even tighter. Stand up bass actually sounded it was in the room. The treble no longer any issues, as it came across as clean and clear as I've ever heard it. The overall improvement was nothing short of astonishing. The Devialet 400 made the Dyaudio Focus 360 speakers sound like they were far more expensive than they actually are.

The Devialet 400 has totally changed my previously held beliefs about high end audio. The fact that this level of performance can be obtained from an integrated unit such as the Devialet is truly amazing. Think what some audiophiles pay just for cables, and you start to get the idea.

I've included a link to a Absolute Sound review. The fact the 400 gave a 200K set of electronics a good run for the money is a testament as to just how good the 400 sounds.

I have owned some highly regarded audiophile setups, and I can state with absolute conviction that the 400 is better sounding playback setup than any other setup I've owned or listened to, and it iis better by fair bit.

" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Updated a Devialet 200 to a 400 model...Quite a difference - Freo-1 14:42:41 04/22/17 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.