Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE final thoughts (not a professional review)

hi, thanks for the kind words.

since there's a built in volume control that has remote capability, the preamp is mostly passive then it goes into active mode after a certain volume. the control isn't as smooth as Arcam, I've had an Arcam product before I bought used, had it for a little bit then gave it to my friend.

Arcam volume controls are very smooth, since this amp is passive mostly one would hear clicks at each change in volume, that's the tradeoff from having the ability to have a remote, however it is very very convenient to have a remote capability with a passive preamp in my opinion, a fantastic feat of engineering.

Arcam products deserve my respect, I've always loved the look. The preamp I'm talking about here is a hybrid passive/active. I do not think I've used the active part yet because I've haven't raised the volume that high.

I've heard talked before here on this, the passive sound is like just having a straight wire from source to amp, no coloration, no sound of its own as others here have mentioned. I picked this pre because of the balanced input and output options and it has as well analogue input and output options, and made in the USA which is very important to me.

Edits: 03/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.