Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

REVIEW: Gilmore Audio Raptor 500D Amplifier (SS)

Model: Raptor 500D
Category: Amplifier (SS)
Suggested Retail Price: $2500
Description: Class D Monoblocks 250w 8ohms, 500w 4ohms
Manufacturer URL: Gilmore Audio

Review by ahendler on August 08, 2012 at 22:24:03
IP Address: 99.33.41.219
Add Your Review
for the Raptor 500D

I have been a tube owner all my life (60 years). I had read reviews of the Raptor monoblocks from the late Al Sekela who preferred them full range vs tri amped with OTL amps on mids and tweeter and a big solid state amp on bottom. When Gilmore dropped the price from $5000 to $2500 I decided to give them an audition. The last two tube amps I have been using on my 3.6r's have been ASL Hurricanes and a VTL ST-85. Both of these amps sounded quite wonderful on my maggies. The Raptor is better in all ways. The raptor has incredible resolution from top to bottom. The recreating of hall sound in symphony recordings feels very real. Micro and macro dynamics are handled with a very live feeling to the presentation. I had heard that class D amps do not do high frequencies very well but that is not the case here. Highs are very extended and really clear sounding. Massed strings are recreated with a great sense of power and physical beauty. Female vocals like Eva Cassidy or Jacintha will make you weep. This amp is a keeper and I will be keeping it. On the technical side it is a highly modified B&O Ice powered with modified input, increased pulse frequency and modified output filter. It has a linear power supply with a 65va toroidal transformer and 67000 microfareds of filter capacitance. Each monoblock is housed in 1/2" aircraft aluminum case and weighs 37lbs per monoblock

Product Weakness: None that I can determine
Product Strengths: Sounds like real music

Associated Equipment for this Review:

Amplifier: Gilmore Raptor 500D monoblocks
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Shindo Auriges
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Sony 5400 and Basis 1400 TT
Speakers: Maggie 3.6r
Cables/Interconnects: Telurium Q Blue/Silnote Morpeous reference
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Classical/Film scores/ Female vocals
Room Size (LxWxH): 15 x 12 x 8
Room Comments/Treatments: Fica trees
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - REVIEW: Gilmore Audio Raptor 500D Amplifier (SS) - ahendler 22:24:03 08/08/12 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.