Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Bias settings in solid state amp? adjustable, and higher would be more class "A"...?

Be careful with this as others have said there are limits to the design. I'm sure you can do it but you may not like the results. Not only does it drive up the heat generation but also the power consumption.

I did this to a couple of pro Hafler amps I had but only after a lot of research and getting the specific instructions and setting limits from the company techs. IIRC they biased them conservatively on purpose. That was several years ago before I went all tubes.

At the time I was using them bridged mono and felt one was a bit off and it did turn out one was measurably off from the other. I also could watch the power consumption increase as I raised the bias up toward the upper limit.

I eventually settled on a happy medium slightly higher than stock but at a power draw I was more comfortable with as they were on 24/7.

They also did run noticeably warmer and needed a couple of fans to keep the circulation going and help with the heat dissipation. I did enjoy the sound more once they were matched but honestly cant say it was because of that or the increased bias that made the difference. Honestly if it didn't need to be done it probably isn't worth the effort

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bias settings in solid state amp? adjustable, and higher would be more class "A"...? - chris 13:40:13 05/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.