Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Ming Da MC-2A3 preamp schematic

To all MC-2A3 owners,
Several days ago I completed the mods recommended by Johnson and it has turned a very good preamp into a fantastic unit. The sound is much cleaner across the board. The bass is a bit lighter but much more natural. I can clearly hear all the bass notes. Before the bass was stronger but somewhat distorted. I compensate for the bass by turning up my woofer plate amps a bit. The best way to describe the changes are now a good vinyl recording being played sounds much more like live music.
Below are the changes I did:
*Replace all the tubes except for the 2A3C.
*Do the small circuit change.
*Replace the output caps with 3.3uF Mundorf silver oil.
*Use Two 47uF VALAB caps for the 6922 section.
*Use one Solen 47uF cap for the 6SN7 section (not enough room for more).

Thanks again Johnson for the awesome work on this preamp.

I give this mod my highest recommendation.
The MC-2A3 replaces a Welborne Ultrapath BP battery powered preamp (very good unit but the MC-2A3 is another league better).

For reference my system is:
Origin Aurora turntable, DIY Bottlehead seduction phono preamp, DIY K&K step up transformer, MC-2A3, DIY Welborne crossover, DIY Welborne Terraplane 300B monoblocks, Supravox 215EXC Field Coil drivers in open baffle (receives a full range signal, Fountek ribbon supertweeters crossover at >10,000Hz, four 15" Hawthorne "Augie" woofers in open baffle crossed over at <70Hz 2nd order.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.