Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: tell us what you consider warm and not warm...

Sorry, I’m familiar with their intergrated amps. I had the SA-102 and SA-250 driving my magnepans 3.6’s for about a month, and have heard (sa-100, sa-102, sa-250) with other speakers as well. Soundwise, the plinius is more akin to offerings from rowland, cary, cj, mac, bat than say arc, krell, sim, pass, etc. – it sortof sounds like a milder, less ballsy version of a bat solid (vk-500??).

One of my favorite Plinius pairing is with Martin Logans Prodigy. To me, Logans sound better with warmer, fuller, more laid back (tube or tube-like) amplifiers; because I find them a bit lean and forward sounding - ala carte. Out of dozen or so, the Plinius are one of the very few solid state amps that I like with them; the balance of emotion & excitement, detail & warmth, etc. is near perfect imo. Other speakers that strike me as lean, that may pair nicely with the plinius in my mind would be thiels, wilson, devore, gallo, dynaudio.

I prefer drier, livelier amps with my maggies b/c they’re dynamically challenged, warmer, etc. The plinius made my maggies sound too slow, thick, fat. Ditto for the vandie 2ce, 3a. If you find your config already somewhat warm, the plinius will make it warmer – imo.

Believe what your ears say - not hearsay.

Edits: 06/25/08 06/25/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.