Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

REVIEW: PrimaLuna DiaLogue One Integrated Amplifier (Tube)

Model: DiaLogue One
Category: Integrated Amplifier (Tube)
Suggested Retail Price: 2,299
Description: Adaptive Auto Bias means no user adjustments and tube are kept in their
Manufacturer URL: PrimaLuna
Model Picture: View

Review by earnie3 on June 21, 2008 at 18:53:24
IP Address: 70.188.148.122
Add Your Review
for the DiaLogue One

I have been a fan of the primaluna line since I bought my prologue two back a few years ago. I have never had a piece of gear that was so musical and fun to listen to. I don’t have to go into detail on how the prologue two sounded since there had been ton’s of reviews and people all over the world enjoying there favorite music with smiles on there faces.
I never like to be the Ginny pig when something new comes out on the market, just like a new car year, I wait a few years until the manufacture works out all the small problems or bugs then I like to investigate the product. When the dialogue series from primaluna first came out I was a little skeptical weather or not it would be a upgrade to my prologue 2 or not. Like any new run productions I waited for people to buy and looked on the audio asylums for feed back and most or all people were very pleased with the product , which I was not surprised since the my prologue two has been nothing but stellar.
I waited a year and finally called Kevin and Jared at upscale audio and got the low down on the new dialogue series of integrated amps. Prior to the call I did as much investigating as I could so I would not have to ask a million questions about the piece. I have always been a Huge fan of el-34 based amps, even after I bought the prologue two I ended up with Mullard reissue el-34’s in the amp, which everyone knows it is all about synergy to make your system sound it’s best to your ears.
I talked to Jared for a little bit and like always the customer service is top notch. Before I go any further I am now way or form affiliated with upscale audio, I just call it like I see it, they know what they are talking about, they return your calls in a timely matter and they listen to you, they are just very nice to deal with it’s that easy. After talking to Jared I ordered a primaluna dialogue one which is a el-34 based amp. You can run el-34,kt-66,6l6 in this amp, you can also run kt-88,and 6550’s if you like they will run those tubes a smidge cooler that’s all, I guess it’s a matter of taste.
I received my amp about four days later, like all primaluna gear triple boxed white gloves superior packing. I wish all manufactures did this, less shipping headaches. I took down my beloved prologue two off the rack and picked up the dialogue one up and HOLY CRAP this this is heavy almost 70lbs, due to its upgraded chassis and Huge power supplies. I never make judgment on any piece until at least 100hrs of playing time, since a lot of gear out there sounds like crap until fully broken in. I made all my connections and turned the amp on let it cook for about 3 hrs and I dropped the needle on the record.
My system consists of a Vpi hw19 Mk4 that is high modified with a tnt platter, stand alone motor, supper arm board, a modified rega arm and a benz ruby 2 cartridge. My cd player is a rega Apollo. My phone stage is a sim audio (moon) lp5.3, and my speaker cables are Mit oracle v4 biwire, and the interconnects are mit magnum M2. My power conditioning is isoclean cords and a chang 6800MkII conditioner. My speakers are a scaled down scale version of proac 3.5’s. They were built by ZHD audio who is speaker builder who never really got into the market due to the cut throat business that speaker manufacturing has become in my opinion has become. They are a MTM design ( midrange tweeter midrange) and uses the best drivers, caps, wiring and so forth all hand built crossovers and beautiful finishes, They are built out of 13 layer birch not that mdf most companies use and is finished with real Mahoney veneer and ebony inlays stunning. They are the best speaker by far I have ever owned, but back to the amp.
When I dropped my needle on my Dave brubeck time out record I wasn’t expecting anything to write home about since this amp is new out of the box, but it stopped my in my tracks I have never heard a new piece of equipment sound so good. It had so much more body, headroom, air and CONTROL than my prologue did. As I put more and more hours on the piece it just sounded better and better , bigger ,faster, more air,detail,texture,bloom and these new transformers really make a huge difference with the bass control holy smokes..
I now have 400+hrs on this piece of gear and it is truly one of the best pieces of gear I have ever owned. The presentation is just so natural. The music just flows effortless out of the speakers. It has one of the quietest and blackest backgrounds I have ever heard from any gear period. The air detail warmth and control of music just has what I call a incredible suck factor. That is when the music just sucks you in and you feel like you are at the performance and you just don’t want to stop listening. I have never been so happy. The dialogue series comes in to versions the One which I bought and the Two. For more detailed info You can go to upscalescaleaudio.com and click on the PrimaLuna link , like I did and it gives a much more detailed descriptions far better than I could ever do.
This amp also responds very well to tube rolling so you may change or tune the music to your liking. I ended up with Groove tubes 12ax7m’s, radio technique 12au7’s and mullard reissue el-34’s which just brought my system to the next level, and the adaptive auto bias makes tube rolling a breeze and keeps it low maintenance. I have since sold my prologue two to a good friend of mine and he is tickled pink just how I was when I first heard it and when he comes over my house for a beer or cocktail and to spin a few records he sits there transfixed and a smile from ear to ear..
So if you ever get a chance to listen to the new Primaluna dialogue series go listen, It is well worth the time and I think you ears will thank you. Happy listening

Product Weakness: None that I can see or hear
Product Strengths: Musicality, control, air , bloom a pleasure to listen to

Associated Equipment for this Review:

Amplifier: Prima luna dialogue one
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): N/a
Sources (CDP/Turntable): vpi,rega
Speakers: zhd designs
Cables/Interconnects: mit
Music Used (Genre/Selections): jazz, blues,classical
Room Size (LxWxH): 14 x 18 x 8
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): isoclean,chang
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - REVIEW: PrimaLuna DiaLogue One Integrated Amplifier (Tube) - earnie3 18:53:24 06/21/08 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.