Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Magnepan Voice Coil Repair - A Saga

Firstly congratulations to Peter for a brilliant post - great photos, clear explanations. I was going to send in something similar about my experiences with my SMGa repair, but frankly Peter's said most of what I wanted to say.

All I would add is that my experiences with 3M77 were not as bad, probably because of two factors. Bending the wires up does indeed improve accessibility to the underside of the wire and the mylar, but once the wire is bent past its elastic limit it "kinks" and thereafter will exert a permanent upward force against the glue while it dries. I tried very hard to avoid doing this although suffered horribly from the 3M77 "sticks to everything" syndrome. Secondly I left the 3M77 to dry for a couple of days before applying the milloxane - by this time it had cured to an inert layer and did not seem to react to the milloxane.

I believe that SMG's pre-date milloxane completely - and mine certainly looked as though it had never been treated. As well as acting as a glue (and I take Peter's point about applying as a blanket over the top is never going to be as efficient as gluing drectly between the two surfaces) it is also supposed to act as a UV filter, since UV light over time will degrade the 3M77 or glues of this type. Thus I would say that it's always worth applying the milloxane. I too used a wide artist's brush and treated the whole panel, woofer and tweeter - it takes a fair while to do this (at least an hour each coat) and needs two coats, both panels.

I let it dry for a week - and there my saga comes to an end (or at least a pause). I too am upgrading the crossover and (perhaps foolishly) stripped down the old crossovers at the same time. At the time of writing the panels are in my garage waiting for when I get some free time (3 kids and MGIIIa's to take up my leisure time)to construct new housings and the XO and reassemble the speakers.

So don't know how they will sound, but the wires certainly seem to be securely and neatly attached throughout.

Ian

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Magnepan Voice Coil Repair - A Saga - Ian Weitzel 02:14:09 05/05/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.