Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: GL's 20s

Sounds like something I may have wrote back around 2012 when i acquired them. I would hear a faint rattle on the right speaker when played loudly and it freaked me out. But if I played them below a certain level (I wanna say around 65db) it was a non-issue so I abandoned the ideal of repair.

*** Update- I looked in my digital organizer where I keep addreses and phone numbers and came across this under Magnepan:

2/24/14 8:17a
Rt speaker needs repair for delam
$1400 for new panel, $300 labor, $ (?) shipping to/from
10/2/14 12:21p
**update** disregard above, rattle sound never heard again
10/15/15 7:35p
well raspy, rattle sound back in rt speaker (as you face them)
11/23/16 5:13a
again!
3/12/17 1:29p
Mick Bucher
Parts & Service Dep.
Magnepan Inc.
651-262-1934
service@magnepan.com

Doesn't list if they would take a separate panel although they 'may have' back then, but again at normal to above normal the rattle hardly presented itself - even up to this day I can't recall the last time I heard any buzz or rattle especially since I augmented the lower frequency with a REL Strata sub.

On my note I wrote $1400 for the panel so it very well could've been just the inner panel.

Interesting to see my note of first hearing the buzz and not until a year later it presented itself again. Maybe it was my amp(s) I doubt it.

I always thought the reason I got them so cheap ($2700) the previous owner freaked out and didn't want to get stuck with them (he claimed he was going through a divorce).

Oh well, they never gave me any heartache whatsoever, only sweet music. :)

Edits: 01/28/23 01/28/23 01/28/23 01/28/23

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: GL's 20s - Green Lantern 12:19:59 01/28/23 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.