Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Active Crossover Set-up - Confirmation I'm on the Right Track

You said:

Current set-up: source -> preamp -> Odyssey Stratos mono-blocks (each amp only does one channel) -> stock passive X-O -> Magnepan 3.5s, using stock internal cross-overs.

Just to be a bit clearer, I think you meant to write: Current set-up: source -> preamp -> Odyssey Stratos mono-blocks -> stock external (bass-mid/ribbon) passive X-O -> Magnepan 3.5s, using stock internal (mid-ribbon) cross-overs.

IF (still undecided if I want to) I want to use active crossovers, my system could go: source -> preamp -> active X-O -> amps (I'm thinking the dual monos and maybe a tube) -> my 3.5s.

Correct. In my experience, going active will bring about a pleasurable increase in SQ!

The Stratos monos would take care of the bass signal. The tube amp (I would probably just do one) would take care of the M/T. I don't have the ability/capacity to swap out the internal X-O's.

That would be a fine setup - particularly with a stereo tube amp (or 2x tube monoblocs) driving the mids & ribbons. However, you need to make sure the tube amps are happy driving 4 ohms or less. This is where ss amps might do better.

I'd make sure that the gain on the Stratos matches the gain on whatever amp I pick up. Or can I handle that at the active X-O stage?

Yes, the active XO should enable you to match gain.

Additional Q's:
- do you have a recommended active X-O?

Marchand make both fully-made-up tube and ss active XOs. Or there are digital XOs - like the miniDSP 2x4HD.

- in your opinion, are tubes best placed in the preamp or amp stage, if my current budget (including for rolling) is sub-$5k?

For a $5k budget, I would suggest a ss amp for the mids & ribbons and either miniDSP or Marchand ss active XO.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.