Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 3.6R crossover mods - Best I could do

SPEAKER MODS

The passive tweeter/midrange changes focused $$$ primarily on the parts in series, but everything was changed. Duelunds 3 big issues are price, size, and break-in. I put the 17uF caps on a cable cooker for a week as they still hadn't broken in after over 250 hours of use. The Cast Copper & Inductors are both exceptional offering immediacy, natural tone, space, and excellent dynamics. I added a silver foil Duelund tweeter cap bypass as the very top end as the sound was still missing a little presence and air.

The stock XO is ok for the price. All of my changes cost as much as the speaker - not remotely cost effective, or sensible, but, WOW, what a difference.

ACTIVE XO

Active is the only way to go on the T/M to bass panels on the 3.6s. However, every active crossover I've used has a sonic signature. The Pass Labs XVR-1-3 way XO has over 200 parts changes and was done in over 25 iterations from 2016-2020. The stock units were the best sounding actives I've heard, but a touch too warm, liquid, and opaque in my set up. If I knew what I was getting into, I would never have touched this - it's too complicated and took over 1,200 hours of listening and break-in. Some changes were just dreadful.

General comments on electronics in these mods:
1)You can't use all of 1 type of "best" part. Try it. Try again.

2) Jupiter and V-Caps are complementary in sound. Jupiter's are a touch too warm sounding. V-Cap (Copper) are a little too cool and lean. Multicap RTX polystyrene in the signal path - no. I like some polypropylenes.

3) Panasonic electrolytic caps are bettered by Elna Silmic IIs, but Black Gate FKs are still the best electrolytic (RIP). Not fond of newer AN Kaisei types.

4) Resistors matter and TX2575s (naked Vishays) are very transparent and noticeably lower in noise, but a little cool sounding if you use too many.

It's apples to oranges, but I'd say the modded passive XO closely rivals the modded active crossover in terms of sonics. I wouldn't gain anything if I went all active.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.