Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Luxman and original Quads a good combo?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

"... I'm just skeptical that those units are doing this into a dynamic 'R' load ..."

Since you don't trust the manufacturers, Stereophile tests, etc. all showing the same results as well as the steel arc welding test with the ML #20 I don't know what to tell you.

I doubt you trust my results either, but here goes. Personally, I have had a ML #336 running Maggies for well over a decade including 1.6, 3.6 and 20.1. You can always make the argument that Maggies are "dynamic" speakers to skirt the issue, but I have never heard them better in a dealership. Closest I heard was 20.1's at the now defunct Stereo Design in San Diego being driven by ML 33H monoblocks. They also did quite nice on Wilson Audio Sashas and Revel Salons which you might call dynamic speakers.

I have had Pinius, Jeffrey Rowland Design Group, various digital amps, MagTech, Luxman and a few others in the mix. The ML has always been a very consistent powerhouse and not suffered from the clipping and power shortages that I have witnessed with other amps in the rotation.

Follow Ups: