Planar Speaker Asylum

Single Ended EL84 amp with Planars?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I am curious how a little fleawatt (5wpc?) SE EL84 tube amp would work with my custom planar/ribbon tweeters/bass woofers loudspeakers.

My system is rather unwieldy, in terms of swapping gar in and out, so I thought I would first ask here.

I fixed up a free old Garrard SL-72B idler drive changer last week, and got hooked on listening to it in a second system. Using an old stereo console pull SE EL84//6B5Q tube amp with it (Magnavox or RCA? Not sure), and a free pair of Cerwin Vega D-2s, only because they are my most efficient pair (and they sound quite refined and exciting in this set up!).

Now I am wondering how this little SE amp would work powering my main speakers, the custom planar hybrids.

It is currently being powered by an old 60s Conn organ amp, push pull with 7868 tubes, around 20-23 wpc. Quite loud enough, and it sounds much better with the speakers than a 125wpc SS Nikko ALpha II.

So I am wondering if any of you planar or ribbon owners use a low-powered SE tube amp with yours?

Just trying to save myself a few hours of pulling my back, getting it into the system, if I get a resounding "NO!". Then again, the ribbon tweeters can be powered separately, so maybe I will try the SE amp on them?

Thoughts appreciated.

Follow Ups: