Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Help needed: Tympani IVa midrange driver problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I'm afraid I will not be much help but looking at the schematic that you posted one score years ago, the mid-driver does not appear to be doubled. The mid impedance is marked at 5 ohms + the DCR of the coil. A better measurement is to remove the tweeter fuse so that the tweeter does not interfere. However, how this helps diagnose the problem is beyond me <(. I assume you already did the various cable and channel switches so you are convinced the problem is in the left channel speaker and not upstream. This is supported by the normal behavior of the tweeter and woofer.

To AndyR: Aren't the magnets on the mid-panel double-sided making access to the wires a bit difficult?

Addendum: Here's a thought. Pull the mid-fuse on the right panel and replace it with a 4 ohm resistor (the fuse is useless anyway). That will drop the output by ~ 5db : 20*log(5/9)=-5.1 db. Not a cure but a work-around. The remaining issue would be the balance of all three drivers.

I married the perfect woman - the downside is that everything that goes wrong is my fault.

Edits: 04/07/21   04/07/21

Follow Ups: