Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: "That's an interesting experiment" ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I have played around a lot with different setups between 1.6 and subs last 5 years... I share same experience - sealed is the route and at least 2 subs, one per side behind mains near corners. Generally, room modes will help bottom end, but you need to run PEQ to tame and make them sing correct. Phase is a key to performance too... Nobody has mention room acoustics that will affect bass performance A LOT?! Heavy treatments (mass) will have impact how bass start and stop. This is often overlooked as it eats up volume of listening room and is ugly.

I have also tried another solution that was quite interesting. I bought a second pair of previous model of 1.6 - the 1.5 and ran them as bass panels LP 24dB @ 90hz, but it became too much low bass, too less slam/impact. It added bass but not where I wanted it... It was actually much more pleasing to run them with disconnected mid/high QR with inbuild LP 6dB @ around 600hz only. I was chocked to realize how little midrange the bass/mid section sounded!!! A lot of the audible sonics are coming from mid/high "tweeter" in the 1.5 model. The total amount of radiating bass area I had now was around 900 sq.inches per side - much more than the 3 series. Go figure! I always had the dedicated bass panel (DWM) from Magnepan in my mind but went a different road with a lot more bass area without spending that kind of money... I have never listened to DWM's, but they look to tiny and can

Edits: 03/11/21   03/11/21   03/11/21

Follow Ups: