Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: "That's an interesting experiment" ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I have played around a lot with different setups between 1.6 and subs last 5 years... I share same experience - sealed is the route and at least 2 subs, one per side behind mains near corners. Generally, room modes will help bottom end, but you need to run PEQ to tame and make them sing correct. Phase is a key to performance too... Nobody has mention room acoustics that will affect bass performance A LOT?! Heavy treatments (mass) will have impact how bass start and stop. This is often overlooked as it eats up volume of listening room and is ugly.

I have also tried another solution that was quite interesting. I bought a second pair of previous model of 1.6 - the 1.5 and ran them as bass panels LP 24dB @ 90hz, but it became too much low bass, too less slam/impact. It added bass but not where I wanted it... It was more actually much more pleasing to run them with disconnected mid/high QR with inbuild LP 6dB @ around 600hz only. I was chocked to realize how little midrange the bass/mid section sounded!!! A lot of the audible sonics are coming from mid/high "tweeter" in the 1.5 model. The total amount of radiating bass area I had now was around 900 sq.inches per side - much more than the 3 series. Go figure! I always had the dedicated bass panel (DWM) from Magnepan in my mind but went a different road with a lot more bass area without spending that kind of money... I have never listened to DWM's, but they look to tiny and canīt pull that wanted dynamics, I guess.

I lastly just wanted to know how both sounded full range side to side with tweeters in the middle and has stayed there ever since - Wow, amazing! If I shut off one amplifier, running "only" one pair it sounds dull, flat and boring... Double 1.6-ish was a really great approach to reach a fuller sound experience! I cannot find any down sides accept needed space.

However, I was not pleased even though I had a lot of radiating planar area. It still lacked attack and slam in the "kick" area of music. I just had to begin experimenting with dynamic subs. I built 2 x 12" CSS SDX in closed 60 liters boxes, one per side. As I like HT as well as pure 2 channel, I needed even more bass and built two new boxes with 2 x 15" per side. Every box is 260 liters. The goal was still to match subs with my 2 x Maggies and I think it works! It is a nice transition after weeks of adjustments. This is a clean and tight sounding system, IMHO with priority of 2 channel HiFi purpose.

Back to topic, yes I use HP to relief them and to avoid phase issues between subs and mains. I use a HT-receiver with HP/LP 12/24dB @ 80hz. I carefully setup my subs with PEQ (Velodyne SMS-1) and run setup with mic to get best phase (distance) via receiver and SMS-1. I have also tried bass reflex, but went back after one day testing - it could not keep up above 50-60 hz with a too muddy/too slow sound, but the deep bass was great though.

Well, I have tried some configurations and you think I am a bass junkie and you are right, BUT the bass must be clean and blend in with the mains in a convincing way. Itīs all about preferences and setup I guess. I think you must HP mains if you go sub route. If not go with the largest Maggie you can afford even though your room is moderate and work with positioning and room acoustics. Cheers!

Edits: 03/11/21   03/11/21

Follow Ups: