Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: why?

I'm now a fan of simplification and do passive from one amp. I've tried biamping as I've had many amps at any one time but it was too bothersome and just complicated things too much so I stopped doing it. I have Quad ESL 57's and they are my lifelong reference since 1975. I use them from 100hz up and have regular speaker cloth covering them instead of the metal grills which opens them up and extends the top end considerably. My hearing limit is still 16khz. The quads sit on Morel 9" woofers and I also have 2-16" Altec's in the corners. I use a simple parallel network, coils on the woofers wound myself on laminated cores to the frequency necessary, and caps on the 57's which have a rather complex impedance curve. It took me research and trial & error to figure out the points etc but they integrate into my particular room very well. I've witnessed and been thru measurement rigors but I still use my ears in my room to integrate everything all together. I've done all this to the point that I am not compelled to screw with things and just sit back and listen to the sweetness in the music and not obsess.

BTW for anybody, many years ago I had an xover program (I forget the name) that would allow plugging in all the info and variations you want including a built in database and it had all different kinds of speaker xovers including series. If it's not around anymore I'm sure there is something else.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.