Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Aperion Dipole Dual AMT Super Tweeter Add On

I wonder what it is, exactly, that gives the ESL-57 their less-than-wonderful treble sound?

Their treble has been described as "plasticky" - not sure exactly what that means, but it somehow does seem appropriate. But what DOES it mean? Plastic doesn't ring, and is generally quite well damped... so are we missing the "sheen" of some tweeters (ribbons come to mind) that is actually a coloration?

???

The ESL-57 actually has good measurable HF response, low THD and decently low energy storage / good transient response. Is it maybe the HF radiation pattern that gives rise to some dissatisfaction with the treble? Yes it is VERY directional, but even in a laser-aimed sweet spot, it's not quite what I want to hear in terms of treble.

I'm thinking that maybe some spatial aspect of the treble output just doesn't "present" right in 3D space in a room....? Power response in a real-world listening room is dependent on radiation geometry....

I just don't know. I like my ESL-57's but like many listeners over the years I feel some kind of "different treble" would make them more enjoyable.

=======================
Science doesn't care what you believe.

Edits: 10/28/21 10/28/21 10/28/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.