Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 or 3.6 -small room!

Ok, that clears things up a bit, it doesn't really matter what room you end up with, for optimum depth + 3 dimensionality you need room behind the speakers, you also don't want to be sitting close to a wall, to avoid room reflections.

My experience is that most small to modest sized European rooms benefit most from the 1/3, 2/3 distance set-up( say the room is 15ft long, place speakers 5ft from front wall, listening position 5ft from back wall, leaving 5ft in between) This provides maximum cancelation of room influence and a nice deep soundstage. Funny that Norman M referred to a "near field" set-up, I totally agree, it's the only way to go in small rooms. I've always preferred the intimate, detailed, uncolored sound of a near field set-up as compared to sitting further away in a larger room.

I know a set-up like this is hard to realize in a small family living room, the best solution is to leave the Maggies close to a wall and slide them out and in for serious listening, and if you can't leave your sofa/chair in place then move that out and in too.

It may seem like a lot of hassle, but if positioning is not optimal, forget it, it's just a waste of time and money.

Oh yeah, if your worried about the dominating presence of 3.6s, get the off-white cloth, up against a white wall you won't even notice them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.