Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MMGi crossover update

Sorry for the confusion but it is partly Magnepan's fault :). There are actually 2 versions of the MMG XO. The original had a 1st order LP and a 2nd order HP and, around 2000, they change to having both filters 1st order. They never changed the speaker designation. I just assumed you had the "newer" version.
I will recalculate and post and edit when I get free. Regardless the Bode diagrams are only the electrical response and not the acoustic response. Your ears hear what they hear.

EDIT: A closer exam of the picture you provided seems to show all three caps wired in parallel (total capacitance =110.5 uF). I am pretty sure the crossover topology was changed to a 1st order series with capacitance across the woofer and inductance across the tweeter. This is in line with the rest of the x.7 family, the LRS and, interestingly, the SMGa which was the forerunner of the MMG and LRS. The inductor is not marked so I am not able to do the calculations.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 07/28/21 07/28/21 07/28/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.