Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Indeed - that's what I've used for 20 years! ...

But:

1. I use Belden 1595A - which is 'plenum rated' (so the individual solid strands are insulated with teflon not PVC. I strip off the blue PVC jacket.).

2. I don't do the ott braiding which early users popularised. I don't think it's necessary - you simply use as many twisted pairs as you think are required for the current drawn by the driver(s), for the length of the cable, and then you have 3 options for using the strands:

a. use the coloured strand in each twisted pair (tp) for '+ve' and the striped strand for '-ve'. This option gives you the lowest inductance - which is a good thing, in a spkr cable. But it does give the highest capacitance - which can upset some amplifiers if the spkr cable is long).

b. separate all the tps and use all the solid-colour wires for the '+ve' leg ... and all the striped wires for the '-ve' leg. Twist all the strands in '+ve' leg together ... and all the '-ve' strands together - so you end up with two separate cables.

This option gives you the lowest capacitance - which is a good thing for very long spkr cables (like 30' plus!) - but it does produce the highest inductance.

c. use equal numbers of tps for '+ve' and '-ve'. Twist all the pairs together (remembering which pairs you have allocated to '+ve' and which to '-ve'!).

This option is in the middle of the above two, in terms of 'L' and 'C'.

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.