Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Tweeter and supertweeter burned on 1.7

Hello you guys,

A few months ago i posted a thread on my problems with the 1.7's. I thought off upgrading the XO. But first things first, i had to get a better amp. That got sorted with Perreaux 350P, a very powerfull amp. That made them sing better.

But I was not satisfied enough. Something was still missing. Wanting to do a XO was still bugging me. After seeing his video on the 1.6 & 1.7 I ordered the kit from Danny/GR research, without bindingpost and wire. Posts I had already done before, with some real copper ones from Alie exp.

On opening up the panels i measured the foils at the tabs. On one of the panels the tweeter foil circuit was broken. I was not able to see where, probably under the paint. I don't know when this has happend, i bought them second hand and did not listened to them at the buyer because he was moving house and had no amp on hand.(he had a burned Krell, i now remember...that could've been the cause :-(

I never heard this because i think the supertweeter made up for the failed tweeter. The are on the same membrane so its all more or less integrated. I was only thinking of lately, 'why do i hear less sound from that speaker sometimes?' 'An acoustic problem maybe?' Did some changing of position but nothing really changed.

So I went on with the XO. Just two aircore conductors and a .25 uF Sonicap capacitor per unit. I made the filters and tested them, not build-in yet. It did immediately sound good, with hefty real bass energy. Like things started to vibrate in the room on a track like Angel by Massive Attack.

But then some connectors came loose on the already broken speaker and the sound was completely gone. inspection learned that also the ribbon foil did not measure any more. There seems to be a 'burn' spot in the black painted part at the underside of the panel.

So now i have one upgraded panel sounding great, and one with only base/midbase...... Funny thing is, i am still enjoining it playing music.

Big question: what and how to repair. I contacted the importer already, he says new panel cost around 1000 euro. Repair by them also very expensive because new foil very time consuming.

I would like to try it my self, are there people here with experience in renewing the tweeter foil or repairing it?

The importer is willing to sell me the foil for 400 euro and the Magnepan special glue for 50 euro small can. But how to get the foil straight on the mylar and sticking befor glueing?

I also read here about bridging the gap in the foil with alu household foil piece and conductive glue from a car window heating set? Does this work? Is this the same thickness?

Thanks for any information

Branko

(don't say thinks like 'send them to Magnepan' because i am in Europe)

Edits: 05/14/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Tweeter and supertweeter burned on 1.7 - Branko 14:14:32 05/13/21 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.