Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: RD75 baffles

I'm using 2500 Hz with my Neo 8's, if only because that's what the original crossover does. :-) But I think it's safe to say that that's safe, given that Magnepan chose it. 18 dB/octave would be safe, seeing as you can't make a compound curve with the midrange since the RD75's play so low. (An LR4 might be even better, but it could make the transition between the RD's and the Neos more obvious.)

In general, the higher the crossover point, the louder you'll be able to play without the ribbons starting to sound hard, but as you raise it, you get more crossover lobing and head position becomes more critical as a result. Satie is the expert here, since he's experimented with various crossover points.

I just did a comparison, Neo 8 array in one speaker and Neo 8 + ribbon in the other, and the ribbon won. It's just a better tweeter, one of the best ever made -- more transparent, extended, detailed, and incisive (transient response -- pianos are more realistic, etc.). Not that the Neos weren't credible on their own, and there are definite advantages to running a single driver full range.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: RD75 baffles - josh358 16:22:35 02/20/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.