Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "Did you tune the tension button on the 2.6R bass/mid panel" ...

Thanks for the pic. Yes I remember your photos of the Frabkepans from several years ago too. Really lovely job you did on those frame etc. Wish I had those kind of DIY and woodwork skills!

I see what you mean about the size of the 2.6R and 3 series bass panels but the whole panel size on the 3 series is 800 sq m, - I know a part of it is for mids but I wonder if that greater size also has influence on bass extension. I'm also pretty sure the 2.6R panel is tuned at a higher freq than the 3 series bass section and therefore doesn't have as much extension. Although my comparisons aren't exactly the same as what you are using (as your 2.6R panel is only covering bass in a 3 way system and the stock 2.6R is 2 way) but I can say for sure the difference between the 2.6Rs I had and the two 3 series models was absolutely huge. The 3 series models sounded so much better to me. So much more range, scale, bass volume and especially bass extension. I was pretty disappointed with the 2.6R, after hearing a bit of hype about it.

I once restored a full set of Tympanis IVas in 2012. I had the full set with all the original bass panels with Mylar in tact (the seller delivered them to me. IIRC you had some that got damaged and that was very back luck, (was that you?)). My set came with the mid and bass panels delaminated and having lost continuity. The tweeters worked fine and were original 3 ohm thin wide types. It took me two months to rewire the mid and bass panels, but the speakers didn't work so well in the room I was using at the time compared to the 3 series models. The room was 15 by 24 and wasn't big enough. I was only able to set up the speakers widthways over the 15 ft wall due to various reasons, and it didn't work so well. The bass was very overwhelming and muddy. So I sold them and went back to just using the 3 series models. In hindsight I wish I had tried the IVa mid and tweeter section with a 3 series bass panel only,
which I could have easily done. It might have integrated well and worked much better in that room than the IVa bass panels. Much less width and not so spread out. Separate Mylar for mids and bass, like your setup.

I also didn't know about a trick Satie used on his Tympani IV bass panels on another room of less than ideal size which was to cross over the bass panels lower than stock (stock is 350 Hz Maggie 3rd order LP IIRC) - he changed to a 200 Hz LR 4th order low pass which kept the lower mids out of the bass panels and from spreading out too far. Mind you he used the Neo 8 mids which could play lower than the Maggie mids so he could cross over lower.

I like the sound of the slightly modified MGIIIa XO slopes you use. Less peaky than stock in the mids than the MGIIia XO would generally be a v good thing for most people. (Although some people like those hard mids). Using the passive speaker level XOs I preferred
the MGIIIa with first order mids rather than 2nd order (like the MGIII XO). That was also a bit less peaky. Did you try that too?

Those subs you have look very nice. Bet the system sounds great with those. I was told before by someone (can't remember who) that with Maggies when using a sealed box sub it's important to place subs in the corners
of the room, as if you don't, some of the bass travels to the back wall first and then to the listener (which is a longer overall distance) and it can sound slower than having them in the corners.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.