Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Current Maggies run full range compared to high pass and subs.

I agree with you on the subs with the 6 foot 3 way ribbon Maggies. I had two pairs of 3 series a few years ago (MGiiia and 3.3R) and found what you describe. I eventually ditched the subs and just used both speakers full range as I far preferred the bass of the Maggie bass panel. The bass extension was generally enough, apart from some on material. A 20 series would obviously be better.
I didn't personally find rolling off the speakers with a XO higher up and using a sub underneath as nice as running the speakers full range and using that fast and big area bass panel. I missed that bass quality. The ported subs I tried were the worst and sealed subs better.
The problem is a ported sub can start but not stop fast enough compared to the way Maggie bass panel can. I also tried an open baffle sub with one driver but that was also a bit slow and didn't add anything. The bass area wasn't wide enough too Those GR research diy subs with 4 drivers look nice though, and the servo amp should enable them to stop much quicker. The bigger area with 4 drivers and more similar bass radiation than a closed box sub pattern might make them much more acceptable. I'd like to try those.

The bass result I had using a sub was running the speakers full range and using an REL strata 3 on its very lowest filter setting in tandem, although the speakers don't have any excursion protection like that so there is no increased max volume. In the end I still preferred the speakers without a sub as the bass was better integrated still.

Never tried a bipolar sealed sub like Satie suggested to me a few times before but would like to.

Yes I've heard that the 3.7 and i don't have an much bass extension as the older 3 series. That's a shame. The midrange panel is bigger and the bass panel smaller compared to older 3 series which is probably the main cause. The 3.6R also has same size panels as the 3.7 and I've heard similar things about that too, although possibly it is not quite as bad. Heard varying things on the 3.6 bass extension.

The 3.7 has first order XOs which I usually personally like more than higher order XOs, but it will cause more limited volume compared to older models, which also isn't too great, along with the reduced bass extension issue...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.