Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Current Maggies run full range compared to high pass and subs.

Hi everyone.
It's been a while and hope everyone has been v well and safe.

Wanted to ask a question. A friend on a UK forum is interested in buying some new smallish Maggies., - probably the 0.7i, but he saw a video on YouTube that suggested you'll have limited volume when driving then full range, and it's better to high pass the Maggies and use subs.

The video is here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uXErcOEdTuI&t=340s

What the guy in the video is describing with the panel buttons etc and the sound distortion issue sounds like IMD. I also assume that although Magnepan might have addressed this to some extent in the design, it's might be more of an issue with the current Maggies range that use all 1st order crossovers (compared to the older range that use steeper slopes) due to the greater overlap of frequencies.

The amps in the video he is using are 170 watts a channel. Might it be possible that some of that distortion is also caused by amp clipping? as in the past I had clipping sometimes on 3 series models when driving v loud with an amp of that kind of power.

Or might it be a combination of both clipping and IMD?

The chap in the video then switches to using the subs and a steep high pass filter on the Maggies with no distortion at higher volumes, I might be wrong but I think the speaker amps won't then have to dish out as many watts for a given volume, as the bass is rolled off (I might be wrong though so please correct me if so).

I guess it might be impossible to say for sure what the distortion is caused by unless measurements etc are made but was just wondering what you guys think of this?

I explained to the prospective buyer that the subs in that video are h frame open baffle and probably very pricey (particularly with the servo amp driving them), and quite different to the REL box subs he owns now and intends to use with a smaller Maggie. I explained that there will likely be some bass blending issues due to the different bass radiation patterns not being compatible.

I explained that it's also likely the vol levels in this video are likely pretty high, and probably higher than he would listen to most of the time.

I also explained to get good bass extension with a Maggie it better to buy a bigger model in the first place, but I'd be interested to hear views on using them with subs.
A few years ago I ran some 3.3Rswith a REL strata (closed box traditional sub) but ran the speaker full range and set the REL to the lower filter setting and placed it near the wall. I got better results like that than high passing the Maggies sharp at 80Hz, although the Maggies were still being run full range so there was still excursion issues etc when the vol was turned up v loud.

If this issues above is likely to be IMD when driving the speakers full range, is it also an issue with bigger current Maggies too? Say for the all first order 3.7i, compared to a previous 3 series model - for example the 3.5R, that used 3rd/2nd/3rd/2nd order stock XO slopes?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Current Maggies run full range compared to high pass and subs. - ColinB 17:23:48 12/28/20 (52)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.